Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Training Time!


So just returned from the 2009 Team Type 1 training camp out in Santa Barbara & Buellton, CA area. It was a blast. The first photo is the view from our hotel balcony. We were really spoiled!

Next is a picture by Team Sports photographer Marco Quezada.
The first 3 days of camp were full on with sponsor commitments. We did a whole day of media training followed by a few days of video & photo shoots. It was exhausting! If only shammy time really was training time.. because I would seriously have three 9 hr days in a row! It was a lot of riding back & forth, stop & go. The next photo is a view of the beach where we had our last photo shoot... I love that view.


The next photo is a bit blurry. (I forgot my digital camera and was left with my blackberry to document the trip) It is of the 2009 kit. Personally, I think they make us look like Buzz Lightyear which is pretty rad. To infinity & beyond!
After the first few days of camp that consisted of all the meetings & what not it was actually time to start training. I was absolutely creaking the first few rides with the team. I guess long days of standing around, being not well rested & eating lots of food that tasted good but not good for you was not the best way to prepare. It was so great to meet all the girls finally & get to see everyone in action. It was pretty impressive to see how strong everyone is. I really think it's going to be a great year of racing. I know that I am going to be learning heaps with all the experience of the girls on the team.

After the 2nd day of training a few of the riders were invited to a school in Solvang, CA to speak to students about the team & what it is like being a bicycle racer. The host cities of the TOC are doing a program where they teach the children in school about bicycle safety and invite some of the teams to come visit. It was really fun. I love hanging around kids. They always say the funniest things & are so creative. After our presentation we signed Amgen Tour of California pamphlets for all the kids. I loved Solvang! You can really tell everyone in the community is very excited about having an event like the tour coming through. A family even invited the womens team to there home one night during camp where we had a traditional danish dinner of ableskivers. They are basically pancake puff balls that tasted like sugary goodness! I know it's hard to spot me because the lack of height difference, but here is a photo...


So after a few hard days of riding we were all lucky enough get massages by our new soigneur Avery May. She is awesome! This winter she went to Thailand & learned Thai massage. It's real crazy.. she uses her feet a lot. At first I was like, "whoa nelly!" but it works really well & felt great.
So I am back in Athens where it's a bit chilly & rainy... tad bit of a change from the beautiful weather in CA.. but I am focused & ready to start buckling down & preparing for the season. It's going to be a long year of learning lots!!

No comments: